Online participants can join via Microsoft Teams. The link will be sent to you before the event begins.
Training materials will be mailed to all online participants in advance in hard copy.
The training can be attended on site or online. Due to the current outbreak of the COVID-19 disease, we offer our trainings exclusively online until further notice.
This course is aimed at beginners in the OpenFOAM software for performing CFD simulations.
The aim is to gain a broad overview of the software’s capabilities and the basics of its application. At the end of the course the participants are able to set up and evaluate calculation cases independently.
- Getting Started / Overview of OpenFOAM
- Philosophy / History of Software
- Linux / Windows Installation
- Installation from SourceCode
- Top-level code
2. Simulation Setup
- Structure of simulations / OpenFOAM cases
- Preprocessing / PostProcessing Tools in OpenFOAM
- Execution of own applications
- Visualization with Paraview
3. Net Generation
- blockMesh – Generation of Block Structured Grids
- Parameterization of block-structured grids using *.m4 script
- Geometry import / creation of STL files
- Advanced unstructured meshes – snappyHexMesh
- Settings snappyHexMesh
- Creation of prism layers
4. Solver Settings
- Finite volume schemes
- Scheme orders and stability
- Application of different schemes for time and space interpolation
- Solver tweaking
- Pressure correction methods
best practice guidelines (PISO/PIMPLE/SIMPLE)
5. Simulation Setup
- Initial and boundary conditions
- Turbulence modelling (RANS/LES/DES)
- HPC / Cloud
- Postprocessing in Paraview / Animations
- Basic features of complex simulations, e.g.
- Free water surface
- mesh refinement
- Handling complex geometries
- external aerodynamics
- heat transfer
- Control/automation of simulations by means of python
- Postprocessing using Paraview
- Application of the OpenFOAM Tools e.g. postProcess
- Creation of functionObjects
- Programming of own evaluation procedures / tools
7. Questions from the participants
- 9:00 am - 12:00 pm
- lunch break (one hour)
- 1:00 pm - 5:00 pm
LanguageThe course materials are written in English and the course is usually conducted in English. If all participants agree, it is also possible to switch to the German language.
MiscellaneousDrinks and refreshments will be provided for on-site participants. Lunch on each day of the event is included in the price. You will find directions and recommendations for hotels above under the link "Locations".
How to JoinGo to the reservation form by clicking the button below. Alternatively, you can write us an email or call us by phone (+49 381 36 77 98 53).
Further Upcoming Events